Ginataang halo halo or bilo bilo is a Filipino dessert or merienda. Learn how to cook this in our video!
This favorite merienda is a sweet, coconut-based dessert with rice balls made from glutinous rice or flour, a variety of root crops and fruits, such as sweet potato, and tapioca. Who loves sago or tapioca? We do! Halo halo is a tagalog term that means mixed or a mixture. There is a cold dessert with the same name, and it has many different ingredients mixed together in one glass or serving. It is the same in this ginataan recipe. It is a mixture of many ingredients in a sweetened coconut soup. Other fruits that can be included are bananas and ube. Langka or jackfruit can also be added. What a colorful bowl you will have!
Bilo bilo is the tagalog term for the sticky rice balls. Ready to make this recipe? Enjoy!
- 3 cup Glutinous Rice Flour
- 3 cups coconut milk,
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 2 pcs. of Sweet Potatoes (kamote) sliced
- 5 – 7 pcs. of Banana, (Saging na Saba)sliced
- 200 grams of Water Yam(Ube) sliced
- 100 grams of Jackfruit
- 1 cup cooked sago
- 1 1/2 Litters of Water for Bilo – bilo soup
- Prepare all ingredients and slice them all.
- Then in the mixing bowl, mix the 2 and ½ rice flour.
- And add 1 and ½water little by little until to forms into soft dough.
- Sprinkle your hands with rice flour and form into small balls.
- Remain the ½ cup of rice flour dough and set aside.
- In a cooking pot, put the 1 and 1/2 litters of water and add the slice water yam then cover it and wait to a boil.
- Then add slice sweet potatoes and add the 2 cups of sugar. And cover it and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until to slightly soft and boil.
- Add the slice banana and jackfruit then stir and cover it to continuous boiling.
- The remaining rice flour dough is dissolving it into ½ cup of water and set aside.
- Add the rice flour balls and the sago and mix it well then cover.
- Then add the 3 cups of pure coconut milk and mix it well and cover it.
- Then lastly add the dissolve rice flour when all ingredients are already cooked.
- Allow to simmer until to achieve it thickens.
- Serve hot and Enjoy the Ginataang Halo – halo as know us Bilo – Bilo Recipe.