Puto Bumbong is a steamed purple rice cake that is commonly sold during the Christmas season in the Philippines. They are slathered with butter, topped with grated coconut, muscovado, and sometimes, grated cheese or roasted sesame seeds, then wrapped in banana leaves.
- 2 cups Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp violet food color
- Margarine/ Butter
- Banana Leaf or Aluminum Foil
- Condensed milk
- Grated cheese
- Grated coconut
- In a bowl combine glutinous rice flour, and violet food color
- Gradually add water and mix well with your hand until clay texture
- Use grater to Grate the galapong
- Prepare a banana leaf or aluminum foil for a wrap and brush with margarine
- Steam for 20 mins
- For toppings brush margarine or butter, add condensed milk and grated cheese
- Serve and enjoy!