This crispy calamares with spicy vinegar is the best merienda that you could have for today! Try our recipe now!
Calamares came from the Italian word calamari, which means squid. Although many think that calamares are made of octopus, they are actually made from squid. The dish is usually prepared and eaten as an appetizer or pulutan, but you can make it your meal if you want. They said that it is best served with lemon wedges or salad, especially the crunchy ones that are dressed with vinaigrette or citrusy sauce, such as cabbage slaw. For us, Pinoys, a great spicy vinegar will do!
This recipe will not just let you cook your own version of crispy calamares; it will also give you a great recipe for a dipping sauce. Who can resist a plate of crispy calamares with spicy vinegar for merienda? No one! So do this recipe now!
- 1 Kilo of Squid (clean and cut into ring)
- 2 cups of All-purpose flour
- ½ cup of Cassava flour
- 1 pc. Egg
- 2 cups of Cold water
- 1 tbsp. Salt, 1 tsp. Pepper and Seasoning granules
- Oil for frying
For Vinegar Sauce
- 1 small slice Onion
- 3 cloves of slice Garlic
- 1 tbsp. of Sugar
- 2 pcs. Red Chili
- ½ cup of Vinegar
- Few of Salt, Pepper and Seasoning granules
- To make batter Mix together half of all-purpose flour, cassava flour, few of salt, pepper and seasoning granules, egg and add cold water little by little in a bowl. Mix well
- If mixture is already dissolved then set aside.
- Marinate the squid with a few of salt, pepper and seasoning granules. Set aside
- Coat the squid with batter mixture then coat with remaining flour and deep fry for 5 – 7 minutes until to crispy brown. Then set aside
For Vinegar Sauce:
- Mix together chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped chili, sugar remaining salt, pepper, seasoning granules and vinegar. Mix well
- Served Crispy Calamares with Spicy Vinegar Sauce. Enjoy