This tom yam recipe will let you experience Thai culture while at home. Learn how to make it now!
Oops, don’t confuse this orangey-colored soup with sinigang. This is different! Tom yam, which is also spelled as tom yum, is a popular Thai dish. It is a hot and sour soup that is usually cooked with prawns. Although chicken and pork can also be used, seafood is more commonly used. Tom, in Thai language, is the boiling process, while yam is translated as “mixed”.
What makes this dish different from our favorite sinigang is that it is more hot and spicy! There are also more spices added to it like lime juice, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass. These flavors make tom yum very distinct.
In this recipe, we added a Pinoy twist by using sinigang mix and tomato sauce. Your tastebuds will surely love this soup! Try this recipe now!
- Mix seafood
- 1 big Coconut milk
- 3-5 pcs. Lemon grass
- 1 pc. Onion
- 6 cloves of Garlic
- 1-2 pcs. Onion leeks
- 1 thumb Ginger
- Chili red and green
- 5-6 cps Lime leaves
- 2 pcs. Tomatoes
- 1 pc. Bell pepper
- 2 -3 pcs. Celery
- ¼ cup of Tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. Tamarind powder
- 1 tbsp. Sugar, 1 tsp. Salt, Pepper and Seasoning granules
- 1/8 cup of Fish sauce
- Oil for sauté
- 5 liters of Water
- Heat the pan, add oil then sauté garlic, onion, ginger, celery, onion leeks, chilies, tomato and bell pepper.
- Add water and let it boil. Add the salt, pepper, sugar, seasoning powder, fish sauce, chili powder and the mix seafoods.
- Add the tomato sauce, add the lime leaves and tamarind powder. Stir
- Add the second coconut milk(kakang-gata) and add more season according to your taste.
- Lastly add the pure coconut milk to become creamy soup.
- Serve hot and enjoy.